Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Have Some Cake!

If someone had told me in my twenties that in the next decade, I'd get married, quit my job, and stay home to raise two children, I'd have said she's crazy.  I didn't even like kids, and at the time, I began to doubt that I'd ever get married, either.   


Somehow, my feelings toward children changed; having two of them does that to some people.  There's no one I'd rather be with than my children.  (Other people's children...well, that's a subject for another time.) And, through some miracle, I found a husband who could put up with me.  He's managed to live with me for over a decade now, and therefore should be considered a living saint. 


I mean, really, look what he's endured as part of our marriage:  once the primary breadwinner of the family, after our children were born it became painfully clear that I could no longer serve in that capacity.  I fell in love with my kids and I didn't want to spend a minute away from them. It took three years of misery, of sobbing to friends, family, coworkers, and our financial advisor, but I eventually left my career behind to stay home and raise our kids...leaving my husband with the sole responsibility of supporting a family of four.  (Which he's done beautifully, and without a single complaint.  I told you...sainthood.) He's done such a good job at supporting us that now that the kids are both in school full time, I'm still not returning to a corporate job. Yet.


That's where this blog comes in.  In high school and college, I planned to be a novelist or some other sort of creative writer. But because I was practical and lacked self-confidence, it was easy to convince myself that I'd never make a living as a writer unless I became a journalist or a technical writer.  I exhausted my journalistic ambitions with one too many "journalism camps" in high school, but I was a technical writer for a few years early in my career.  In fact, if you're looking for a good soporific read before bed, I'd be glad to dig out the LifeRate Systems Navigation Guide for you.  


But trust me...you're better off enjoying some Cake.  

1 comment:

  1. MMmmm...Good Cake! This WAS the highlight of my day! First Blog, First Post, thanks for adding some humor to my day!

    ReplyDelete